Royal Leamington Spa

The town of Leamington Spa, originally known as Leamington Priors was a tiny village until about 1800. The value of the mineral springs was known in the middle ages, but it was not until 1784 that the small village began rediscovering its saline springs and started building baths around some of them.

The Gardens are the centre-piece of a sequence of 19th century parks beside the River Leam in Regency and Victorian Leamington Spa. The whole group is accorded a Grade II in the English Heritage Register of Historic Gardens. The Gardens themselves have long been famous for their floral displays, beautiful and unusual trees, fountains and quiet riverbanks.

If you would like more information, why not visit the new Museum. There are displays on the historic use of the Pump Rooms and Spa Treatments - including several weird and wonderful objects from the former physiotherapy department. There is also the opportunity to sample spa water (for those who are brave enough!).

 

 

Information courtesy of www.royalleamingtonspa.co.uk   

© Warwickshire.co.uk      Terms and Conditions     Site last updated  22 August 2008

     warwickshire counters

Welcome to Warwickshire.co.uk